Special Duty refers to the hiring of an off-duty police officer(s) for security, traffic control, or escorts.
Types of Off-Duty Services
• Security – Providing security and maintaining order at various events and businesses.
• Traffic Control – Directing and facilitating traffic flow at various events and construction sites.
• Escorts – Escorting the transportation of heavy or over-sized equipment where a City or State permit is required. Escorting parades, tour buses, vehicles carrying athletic teams, officials, or famous personalities. The Grandview Heights Division of Police does not perform funeral escorts.
Prohibitions – Special duty assignments will not be performed
• Where performance implies a participation in partisan politics.
• At any other assignment conflicting with established policies set by the Grandview Heights Division of Police.
Special duty officers are primarily hired to maintain order, provide security, facilitate traffic flow, and take action against violations of the law. The Grandview Heights Division of Police does not accept requests to assign a specific officer to a particular event or assignment.
To request a special duty officer, please contact the special duty coordinator, Officer Mike Colon, at (614) 488-7901.